liberty punk
"the irony of the information age is that it's given new respectability to uninformed opinion."


Tuesday, January 28, 2003  

Utterly News-Irrelevant Music-Related Musings

Last night I discovered, through the wonders of the web, that producer Steve Albini (of Shellac, Big Black, and Rapeman) worked on the second Bush album, Razorblade Suitcase. I thought to myself, "Why?" The man also produced In Utero, as well as the Pixies' early stuff (he then pronounced them "boring college rock," but as my friend and I concluded, this was simply part of his effort to convince everyone that he's the biggest asshole in the world. It's his game, see...).

Over a six of Red Stripes, my friend and I played the "what if" game. "What if we were the most run-of-the-mill, middle-of-the-road, teeny-bopper TRL pop-punk band, and we offered Albini twenty million dollars to produce our next record?" Would he do it? We decided that he probably would, but that he would use the money to buy a huge mansion where he would spend his days comfortably denouncing our band and all pop music in general.

Then we added the "what if we decided to name the album Produced By Steve Albini?" sub-clause. That's when things got tricky.

All this wacky bullshit basically amounts to the interesting (I think) question of how much indie cred will a respected indie producer 'sacrifice' to make money? I just couldn't get my brain around the fact that Steve Albini produced Razorblade Suitcase. The bottom line is that it's none of our frigging business what he decides to work on. We just thought it was interesting. Being the typically arrogant indie-record-store employee that I am, I was just happy to be part of a conversation in which I could throw around names like "Albini" and "Pixies."

I'll try to make the next post less boring. No promises, though.

posted by geoff | 1:14 PM |
archives
links
bands
hehe, etc.
Site Meter